Operation Greens will be finalised after discussion with stakeholders: Min
The Ministry of Food Processing Industries has said it will discuss with stakeholders next week about the new scheme 'Operation Greens' announced in the Budget 2018 with an aim to promote processing of tomato, onion and potato in times of glut and boost supplies during lean period.
"The contours of the new scheme will be finalised after holding series of discussions with various stakeholders", Food Processing Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal said on Tuesday.
"The poor and the middle class have been bearing the brunt of price volatility of tomato, onion and potato (TOP) for decades together. Under Operations Greens we shall be creating a sustainable roadmap to ensure that Tomato Onion Potato (TOP) are available in every nook and corner of the country round the year without any price volatility. We may also look at incentivising production of tomato, onion and potato (TOP). We are looking at compressing the supply chains and creating appropriate climate infrastructure for natural preservation of TOP," Badal said while lauding the scheme announced in the annual budget.
A sum of Rs 500 crore has been earmarked for this scheme. Farmers Producers Organisations (FPOs), agri-logistics processing facilities and professional management will be encouraged under this scheme, she added.
Food Processing Secretary J P Meena said the key features of the scheme will most likely be ready by April. The vegetable clusters are already mapped in the country and need to work out backward and forward linkages for FPOs keen to take advantage of the scheme, he added.
The 'Operation Greens' is similar to the 'Operation Flood' launched in 1966 which was the world's biggest dairy development program of the government.
- Rlys revised timetable: Many new niche trains on cards 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- SC to hear TN’s plea against NGT order giving Vedanta access to Tuticorin plant 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee fall due to economic mismanagement of Modi Govt, alleges Congress 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong dares PM to dissolve LS 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Tight security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day 15 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Mamata raises NRC again, calls RSS for terror outfit 15 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Madras High Court orders CBI enquiry 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Stalin era begins in DMK 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- BJP to launch enrolment campaign in Gujarat today 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong uses BJP’s ‘Beti Bachao’ slogan against Rajen Gohain 15 Aug 2018 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...