PM calls national conference on Feb 19-20 to boost agriculture
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called a national conference on February 19-20 to discuss short and long-term solutions to give a fillip to the agriculture sector and address the farm sector issues to achieve the goal of doubling farmers’ income by 2022.
Sources said that the national conference 2022’, will to be held at the Pusa complex in the national Capital. Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh, senior officials of Niti Aayog, farm price advisory body CACP, State varsities, farmers and farmers’ bodies will be among others who will be part of the meeting.
On the first day of the conference, farm experts and officials will brainstorm issues that are confronting farmers as well as the overall agriculture and allied sectors. They will submit the recommendations next day before the PM for firming up the policies.
Farmers distress has aggravated in view of sharp fall in prices of most agri-commodities like pulses and oilseeds due to bumper crop last year.
Poll-bound Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan have already announced sops to help farmers come out of the rural distress. Even the Central Government in the Union Budget for 2018-19 has announced fixing MSP 1.5 times higher than the cost of production.
The Opposition and farm experts demanded the Government spell out that formula to be adopted to determine cost of production. Presently, the Government decides the MSP based on the recommendation of an expert body the Commission for Agricultural Costs & Prices (CACP). The Government fixes MSP for 14-15 kharif crops.
Last month, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had said that the country’s s economic growth is not justifiable and equitable unless the benefits are clear and evident in the farm sector.
Therefore, the Government’s priority is to ensure the gains reach the farmers and the growth is visible even in the farm sector, he had said. The CSO has pegged.
- DMK all set to name Stalin as party chief on August 28 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Centre asks States to monitor ‘Fall Armyworm’ pest infestation 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Maharashtra Cong to organise yatra to highlight BJP misrule 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Bihar: Woman paraded naked on suspicion of killing man 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 2 detained in connection with attack on Umar 21 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Centre declares Kerala floods ‘severe calamity’ 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Muslims flay Maurya’s statement on temple 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong playing politics on temple issue: Maurya 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Dalit lynched in Pilibhit’s Bhagwantpura village 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Pilgrims among 7 killed, 12 injured in Kishtwar rockslide 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The beauty of city of lakes painted through vibrant colours and the eye catching shades over canvas spellbound the art appreciators. A group painting exhibition is being put up at Swaraj Bhavan Art Gallery that began here from Monday...