Pranab, Pratibha among top dignitaries at RaGa’s 1st Iftar
Former Presidents of India Pranab Mukherjee and Pratibha Patil were amongst the top dignitaries who attended the first Iftar party hosted by Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday.
While UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi was not present due to her treatment abroad, former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other political leaders like Sharad Yadav, CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury, Janata Dal-Secular leader Danish Ali, Trinamool Congress leader Dinesh Trivedi and BSP's Satish Chandra Mishra were present. AIUDF a constituent of UPA, Badruddin Ajmal, too arrived at Congress iftar party.
NCP leader D P Tripathi, DMK’s Kanimozhi, RJD MP Manoj Jha, and JMM's Hemant Soren were the other opposition leaders who were present along with Congress leaders P. Chidambaram, A.K. Antony and Ghulam Nabi Azad to name a few. Among those who graced the Iftar at a five star hotel in the Capital were several diplomats who exchanged greetings with Rahul. Former Vice President of India Hamid Ansari too spent time at the Iftar ceremony.
Mukherjee, whose acceptance of the RSS invite became a matter of big controversy, greeted those present at the function as he moved among the guests. Rahul Gandhi welcomed him and other guests.
To a question on the unity of opposition, TMC leader and a former Union Minister Dinesh Trivedi said that when people are united then the pressure to unite increases for the Opposition parties, too.
Prior to 2016, when the party was in power, the then prime minister Manmohan Singh used to organise the event. The last Iftar of 2015 was hosted by the then party chief Sonia Gandhi. Sonia is expected to be back to country in a day.
- Dabholkar murder case: Sharpshooter Andhure sent to CBI custody till Aug 26 20 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Rahul may talk to Mamata 20 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Hardik held ahead of protest over fast venue 20 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Nine Pakistanis arrested by Coast Guard off Kutch coast 20 Aug 2018 | PNS
- After Srisailam chance of Nagarjuna Sagar getting filled up brightens 20 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
- Panel set up to probe Gujarat groundnut scam 20 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Bihar shelter home: FIR filed against ex-Min under Arms Act 20 Aug 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- J&K Home dept groping in dark 20 Aug 2018 | Mohit Kandhari
- Maha man held for siphoning off PDS rice, wheat 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- KCR may dissolve Assembly next month: TPCC Chief 20 Aug 2018 | Prof RSS MANI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
To mark the occasion of ‘World Photography Day’, members of Jharkhand Photographic Association organized photo-walk and on the spot photography contest on Sunday. The photographers captured the scenic beauty of Ghahari Dham located in Lapung block...