- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Protest against apathy of civic authorities in B’luru
To highlight the gravity of the bad roads and its consequences, citizens of Bengaluru turned to a novel way of protest by performing last rites to a road which is in a very bad condition.
The people who are hit by the apathy of the Government, as a last resort took to this kind of protest to draw the attention by performing last rights and laid a road to rest. A group of residents of Kaggadasapura, Byrasandra, GM Palya and CV Raman Nagar, all outskirts extensions of Bengaluru have come together to perform last rites of Kaggadasapura main road which has become a victim of the apathy of the Bruhuth Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike(BBMP), the city Corporation which is run by the Congress and the JDS.
This road in the east Bengaluru which houses many Public Sector Undertakings and Defence establishments has been laid to rest by placing wreath and performing rituals of shradda.
The pot holes which have become death traps and killed as many as five people so far for the last few days reflects very badly on the ruling congress Government led by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah ahead of ensuing assembly polls in 2018. The Karnataka elections are crucial for the Congress to keep its national identity intact.
The city once called the garden city of the country has become a pothole city with lot of death trap craters adding to the rain fury. Siddaramaiah after huge criticism about handling of the situation the aftermath of the rains has woken up and ordered filling up of potholes in fifteen days. So far many areas in the city even today inundated and flooded without any help.
Aptly, the residents have laid the road to rest by performing last rites with a character of Yamraj, the God of death also protesting to highlight the situation.
The residents, as a homage, placed wreath and flowers on the symbolic grave of the road to show the negligence of the elected representatives. This symbolic protest goes a long way in highlighting the problems of the people and the apathy of the authorities who are not bothered about discharging their responsibilities.
According to residents of the area, the Kaggadasapura Main Road has been dotted with huge potholes for the last six months. Several heavy vehicles, cars, buses and two wheelers have got stuck on this road due to its deplorable condition. Couple of months back an African student was killed on this road as he was hit by a lorry which was trying to avoid a killer crater. The citizens also protested some time back with a candle light protest but nothing changed.
After few deaths on the bad roads and pot holes in Bengaluru the BJP came down heavily on Congress Government and Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.
BJP State president BS Yeddyurappa tweeted that he was saddened by the deaths. “While (the Karnataka Chief Minister is) busy in corruption, innocent people paying with their lives for Siddaramaiah’s) incompetency.”
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has blamed heavy monsoon rains for the damaged roads. The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike has been given 15 days to fill over 15,000 potholes in the city.
According to rain fall data Bengaluru urban district has received 45per cent excess rainfall since the beginning of the southwest monsoon.
- Punjab must be developed as special industrial zone: Jakhar 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Over 13,500 infant deaths in 11 months: Maha Min 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Supersonic cruise missile BrahMos test-fire successful 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- BIMARU States top in non/partially-immunised children: UN agencies 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Now, India not in Fragile Five: Modi 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Govt to rope in engineers, scientists to explore scientific validation of AYUSH 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Inshort 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- CBI takes custody of journalist Upendra Rai in extortion, corruption case 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- CBI chargesheets Farooq, 3 others for alleged irregularities in JKCA 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UP to re-introduce anticipatory bail in modified form 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...