Quota in promotion will apply in both Central, State Govt jobs now: Paswan
The Centre on Wednesday announced that following the Supreme Court’s nod to resume reservation in promotions it will now be applicable to jobs in the Union Government as well as States.
“There was some confusion following queries as to whether the court’s direction will be applicable only to central Government jobs. There is no confusion now. The Centre as well as states will start promoting employees,” Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan said after a high-level meeting in this regard.
Incidentally, the Centre's remarks have come even as the Bihar government has moved the Supreme Court seeking clarity on whether States can implement the reservation system in promotions or not.
Paswan said the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) will soon issue a directive in this regard. The government formed a group of ministers to hold consultations over issues related to Dalit and tribal populations.
The group of ministers, which include Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot and Paswan, met to discuss the issue.
Orders of different high courts had resulted in halting reservation for scheduled castes and tribes in promotion in government jobs and the Centre had recently moved the Supreme Court. While hearing the matter, the court allowed it to go ahead with providing reservation in promotion before a final verdict is delivered.
Paswan also said that the government was ready with an ordinance to restore to the original provisions of a law on cases of atrocities against Dalits and tribals but will wait for the apex court's final decision on its review plea.
- Hindu Mahasabha set up ‘first Hindu court' in reaction to ‘Sharait courts' 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- NDA was stronger because of Vajpayee: Uddhav Thackeray 17 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Atal was true believer of multi-party democracy: Left 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- 2 claim responsibility on FB for attack on Khalid 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- B'desh PM expresses deep shock at Vajpayee’s demise 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- He watched Umrao Jaan thrice in a night 17 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Opp leaders mourn demise 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Vajpayee first Delhi Metro passenger 17 Aug 2018 | GAYATHRI MANI
- Condolences 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- A leader for ages — ahead of his times 17 Aug 2018 | Narendra Modi
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | PNS | Jamshedpur
Tata Steel celebrated Nation’s 72nd Independence Day with patriotic fervour at its Jamshedpur Works and across its locations. The celebrations began with TV Narendran, CEO& Managing Director Tata Steel, hoisting the tricolor, which was followed by a ceremonial march past and the National Anthem...