Rain, hailstorm damage rabi crops, 1.08L ha in Maharashtra affected
Untimely rain and hailstorm have caused damage to the rabi (winter) crops in over one lakh hectare in Maharashtra, especially in Vidarbha and Marathwada regions. As per estimate received by the agriculture Ministry, the rabi crops –chana and wheat –have been hit. The MeT department has also warned farmers about bad weather and advised them to start harvesting early.
According to officials of the agriculture Ministry, they have received a report from Maharashtra. About 1.08 lakh hectare has been damaged due to unseasonal rains and hailstorm. “This is just a preliminary assessment of the damage, the full report is yet to be received from the State Government”, officials said
Besides Maharashtra, the official said, there were reports of some damage to rabi crops in Madhya Pradesh. The rabi crops will be ready for harvest from next month. In some states like Gujarat, wheat harvesting has begun.
Officials said that in madhya Maharashtra, Marathwada and Vidarbha, the farmers have been asked to complete harvesting of matured rabi crops at the earliest. The State Government has also asked farmers to collect and cover harvested produce by plastic sheet, store threshed crops in warehouse, complete harvesting of matured fruits and vegetables at the earliest and cover orchard with hail net in Madhya Maharashtra and Marathwada.
As per reports, districts which were most hit in Maharashtra included Beed, Osmanabad, Latur, Nanded, Parbhani, Hingoli, Dhule, Nandurbar, Aurangabad among others. Sehore, Vidisha, Hoshangabad, Guna, Rajgarh, Harda, Betul and Raisen districts were among the badly hit districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- DMK all set to name Stalin as party chief on August 28 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Centre asks States to monitor ‘Fall Armyworm’ pest infestation 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Maharashtra Cong to organise yatra to highlight BJP misrule 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Bihar: Woman paraded naked on suspicion of killing man 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 2 detained in connection with attack on Umar 21 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Centre declares Kerala floods ‘severe calamity’ 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Muslims flay Maurya’s statement on temple 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong playing politics on temple issue: Maurya 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Dalit lynched in Pilibhit’s Bhagwantpura village 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Pilgrims among 7 killed, 12 injured in Kishtwar rockslide 21 Aug 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The beauty of city of lakes painted through vibrant colours and the eye catching shades over canvas spellbound the art appreciators. A group painting exhibition is being put up at Swaraj Bhavan Art Gallery that began here from Monday...