Re-polling in Bengal largely peaceful, 1 dead
Even as it took 29 deaths for the police administration to wake up and act like a police force, the Wednesday’s re-polling in a record 572 booths spread across 19 districts were largely peaceful with some stray incidents of booth capturing and “only” one death as compared to 21 casualties that marred the May 14 elections.
This apart, in an unusual development a sub-divisional magistrate was manhandled by a crowd of polling officials who were demanding adequate security after a presiding officer was abducted from his booth and later murdered late on Monday evening. His body was thrown by the railway tracks off Raiganj in North Dinajpur district. The Government hurriedly ordered a CID investigation into the incident, sources said.
The sole death that took place on Wednesday was at Goalpokhar in North Dinajpur where the supporter of an Independent candidate was reportedly shot dead by Trinamool Congress men, sources said. The second incident was reported from Ratua block in Malda where booths were captured by masked musketeers who looted ballot boxes and drove away the election officials. The police however acted on time to retrieve the stolen boxes after which polling started.
In a role reversal of sorts the police seemed to discharge their true duties instilling confidence even in voters who had sustained bullet injuries during May 14 to return limping at the re-polling stations to cast their votes, sources said from Murshidabad, and Amdanga in North 24 Parganas.
By 4 pm the booths reported about 70 percent polling with long queues of voters waiting outside polling stations, State Election Commission sources said. Counting will take place on Thursday.
- When Vajpayee asked for pajamas at public meeting 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Atal made path-breaking contributions to Sino-India ties’ 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No change of guard ceremony today: Rashtrapati Bhavan 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s Chef de Mission pays tribute 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Ex-PM started out as an MP from Balrampur 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pak interim Law Min meets Sushma, condoles demise 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- SAARC leaders, including Pak, turn up at funeral 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Inshort 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Centre announces new freight corridor between Kharagpur, Vijayawada 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Rain brightens chance of filling Srisailam dam 18 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...