Rs 16,000-cr Navi Mumbai int’l airport: PM to lay foundation stone on Feb 18
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay a foundation stone for the Rs 16,000 crore Navi Mumbai International Airport (NMIA) on February 18.
As part of his day-long visit to Mumbai on Sunday next, Modi will also inaugurate the Magnetic Maharashtra investor summit at Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC).
The Prime Minister will kick-start the work on the development of the second international airport in and around Mumbai comes three and a half months after the Maharashtra Government gave a go-ahead to the GVK-Mumbai International Airport Ltd (MIAL) combine for the development of NMIA.
Though the nodal agency for the development of NMIA —City & Industrial Development Corporation (CIDCO) – has all along been insisting that the new airport would be operational by 2019, Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha said early this month that he expected the proposed airport to become functional by 2021.
Under the Concession Agreement signed on January 8, a special purpose vehicle has been set up to execute the ambitious airport project. Though its subsidiary MIAL, the GVK Power & Infrastructure Ltd. (GVKPIL) holds 74 per cent equity, while the CIDCO will have the remaining 26 per cent stake in the project.
The initial concession period is 30 years from the appointed date, which is extendable by another 10 years, for the project in which GVKPIL was declared the successful bidder in February 2017.
The GVKPIL, which currently operates India’s first brown-field and green-field airports — Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA), Mumbai and Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru respectively under the PPP model, and the GVK-led MIAL had pipped Messrs GMR Airports Limited in the post in the final bids on February 13, 2017.
The NMIA, which is coming up in the neighbouring Raigad district, is not only expected to change the face of Navi Mumbai, but it will also support the rapidly growing air travel needs of the people in Mumbai Metropolitan Region, where there is already busy CSIA. To be located in an area of 1140 hectares, the proposed airport will accommodate two parallel runways for independent parallel operation with provision of full length taxi ways on either side of the runways.
- Heavy rain plays havoc in Andhra, Telangana; many parts get flooded 22 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
- Guj HC rejects disabled students’ pleas seeking medical admission 22 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Gujarat halts agricultural land resurvey process due to errors and irregularities 22 Aug 2018 | PNS
- IAF engages two Mi-17 choppers for Kodagu relief 22 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki
- Hardik to revive quota agitation from Saturday, with or without permission 22 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Telangana to send 500 tonnes of rice to Kerala today 22 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
- BJP MLA Raja Singh arrested on eve of Eid 22 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
- Rain fury victims return home, suffer heartbreak to see destruction 22 Aug 2018 | VR Jayaraj
- 89,540 tonnes of foodgrains, 100 tonnes of pulses to be given free 22 Aug 2018 | PNS
- UK court denies bail to Dawood aide 22 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Aug 2018 | Parvinder Bhatia | Jamshedpur
Bhojpuri singer turned BJP leader Manoj Tiwari, who is also a Member of Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture on Tuesday promised that he will take up the issue of poor NH 33 stretch with Union Road Transport, Highways Ministry. Addressing a press meet he said that apart from being Delhi BJP State president he is also a member of standing committee he is aware of the present plight...