SC dismisses petition questioning lifetime pension for MPs
The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a petition challenging the perks, including lifetime pension and travel allowances given to former parliamentarians saying that Parliament alone has the wisdom to decide if the said benefits given to lawmakers was rational.
The petition was filed by NGO Lok Prahari against an order passed by Allahabad High Court which came to the conclusion that the Parliament has power to legislate on whether pension must be paid to ex-MPs. The apex bench of Justices J Chelameswar and Sanjay Kishan Kaul agreed with this conclusion and said that the decision as to whether the various benefits given to the lawmakers was “rational” having regard to the affluent financial status of some of the MPs or the poverty of the millions of people rested within the realm of Parliament’s wisdom.
It held that the expression “allowances” of MPs occurring under Entry 73 of List I of the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution was wide enough to cover the payment of “pension” and other benefits to the Members of Parliament or ex-MPs.
The Centre had submitted that the entitlement of former MPs to get pension and travel allowances was a matter of their dignity and must be maintained as even after MPs complete their tenure they keep visiting their constituencies.
- UP Cong to protest against BJP Govts over law and order 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC asks Committee chief to explore possibility to compensate victims 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Irrigation scheme not running at full utilisation: CAG report 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC stays Madras HC order giving 196 marks to NEET students 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UP Govt to set flood relief camp in affected districts 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UPPCL to set up special cell to bring down line losses 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Woman alleges rape by 40 men for 4 days, 3 held 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- EC junks Cong 60L fake MP voter ID claim 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Transporters go on indefinite agitation for various demands 21 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Senior BJP leader shot in Rae Bareli 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | PTI | Bengaluru
Expecting early Lok Sabha polls by December, Congress in Karnataka on Saturday said it has begun preparations for the elections that it claimed would instal a "non-BJP" Government at the Centre. In the run-up to the polls, Congress said it has decided to reorganise the party from grassroots to pradesh congress committee level...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh reviewed the preparations and programmes on scheduled visit of President Ramnath Kovind to Chhattisgarh with his cabinet colleagues and senior officials at his official residence on Saturday. President is scheduled to visit the State on July 25 and 26 at Dantewada and Bastar (Jagdalpur)...