Senior TMC MLA, Mayor charged with extortion
Yet another scam tended to burst in the Trinamool Congress’ face with a businessman on Tuesday bringing extortion charges against one of its MLAs and Mayor of the upmarket Bidhannagar-Rajarhat Municipal Corporation adjoining Kolkata Sabyasachi Dutta.
The Mayor — a former confidant of BJP leader Mukul Roy before he left the Bengal ruling outfit — who was currently in Tripura as the Trinamool’s charge de electoral affairs in that State denied such accusations saying he “never have come across such a person and not even know his name.”
Madhusudan Chakrabarty the complainant earlier on the day said Dutta “called me up on February 2 and asked me to donate Rs 2,30,000 for making party flags to be used in the elections. I paid the amount.
Then a few days later he asked for Rs 30,000 from me for the election related expenses in Tripura.”
Summed up, the entire amount of extortion money demanded from Chakrabarty would go beyond Rs 1 crore, he said claiming to posses the audio-clippings of the conversations.
But when the businessman refused to part with so much of cash he was “threatened with dire consequences.” He was also warned against bringing the issue before Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- Rlys revised timetable: Many new niche trains on cards 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- SC to hear TN’s plea against NGT order giving Vedanta access to Tuticorin plant 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee fall due to economic mismanagement of Modi Govt, alleges Congress 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong dares PM to dissolve LS 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Tight security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day 15 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Mamata raises NRC again, calls RSS for terror outfit 15 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Madras High Court orders CBI enquiry 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Stalin era begins in DMK 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- BJP to launch enrolment campaign in Gujarat today 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong uses BJP’s ‘Beti Bachao’ slogan against Rajen Gohain 15 Aug 2018 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...