Soldier, defence porter martyred in Poonch
An Indian Army jawan and a defence porter attained martyrdom along the Line of Control in Poonch on Thursday after one of the forward posts in Khari Karmara area was targeted by the Pakistan Army.
At least five soldiers and one defence porter also received splinter injuries in the intense shelling and were airlifted to command hospital in Udhampur for advance treatment. The Indian side also retaliated strongly and effectively. The situation remained tense along the LoC following fresh exchange of firing in the area.
According to field reports, “Pakistan Army initiated ‘unprovoked’ firing on Indian Army posts in Krishna Ghati sector at 10.35 am on Thursday”.
During the exchange of fire, one of the forward posts in Khari Karmara area of Poonch came under direct attack from across the LoC. Intermittent firing in the area continued for several hours during the day triggering panic among the border residents living in the forward areas.
According to Defence Spokesman in Jammu, "Sepoy TK Reddy and Defence Porter Mohd Zahier were grievously injured during the firing and succumbed to their injuries". Six other personnel including one defence porter also sustained injuries and are under medical treatment.
"Sepoy TK Reddy (21), belonged to Village Obulapuram, Tehsil Giddaluru, District Prakasam, Andhra Pradesh and is survived by his mother Gurrumma. Mohd Zahier (22) belonged to Village Kalali, Tehsil Manjakote, District Rajouri, Jammu & Kashmir, Defence Spokesman added.
More than 600 ceasefire violations have been reported from across the LoC and International border this year.
This is the highest number of violations in one single year ever since ceasefire agreement was reached between the two neighbouring countries in November 2003.
- Terrorists hurl grenade on police post in Sopore 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Agnivesh attack: Police say no arrest yet 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Man booked for 'rape' for making daughter-in-law to undergo ‘halala' with him 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India, ASEAN cooperation will be key facilitator for growth of Indo-Pacific: MEA 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indian woman among 3 killed as two training aircraft collide midair in US 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Cong is ‘deceitful' party, those allying with it invite doom, says Chouhan 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- JNU student fined `10,000 for raising slogans 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Ukraine seeks India's help in probing deal to supply AN-32 spares to IAF 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- CAG examining Rs 58K crore Rafale fighter jet deal, says Govt 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Patna HC admits Tejashwi's petition challenging order to vacate bungalow 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...