Sonia Gandhi urges PM to pass Women Reservation Bill
Congress president Sonia Gandhi has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, urging him to get the Women’s Reservation Bill passed in the Lok Sabha by taking advantage of the BJP’s majority in the House.
Sonia Gandhi assured him of her party’s support to the legislation, which she said would be a significant step forward in the empowerment of women.
The Rajya Sabha had passed the bill on March 9, 2010.“I am writing to request you to take advantage of your majority in the Lok Sabha to now get the women’s reservation Bill passed in the Lower House as well,” Gandhi said in the letter, dated September 20.
Speaking to reporters here, Congress women’s wing chief Sushmita Dev questioned the alleged delay by the Government in ensuring the passage of the bill in the Lok Sabha.
The ruling BJP should show that its commitment towards the legislation is not mere “symbolism”, she said.
She asked Modi to assure the country’s women that the reservations would be implemented before 2019, when the next general elections will be held.In her letter, Gandhi recalled that the Congress and its late leader Rajiv Gandhi had first mooted the provision for quotas for women in panchayats and municipal bodies through Constitution amendment bills.
Gandhi said the bills were “thwarted” by the opposition in 1989, but were passed by both the Houses of Parliament in 1993.Dev, who read the letter out to reporters at the briefing, said, “The question we ask Modiji after three years of the BJP coming to power) is...Why the delay?”
The lawmaker said given the work that will follow once a decision is taken to pass the bill in the Lok Sabha and the time that it will take, the government will have to get going with the business “right now”.
- Terrorists hurl grenade on police post in Sopore 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Agnivesh attack: Police say no arrest yet 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Man booked for 'rape' for making daughter-in-law to undergo ‘halala' with him 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India, ASEAN cooperation will be key facilitator for growth of Indo-Pacific: MEA 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indian woman among 3 killed as two training aircraft collide midair in US 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Cong is ‘deceitful' party, those allying with it invite doom, says Chouhan 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- JNU student fined `10,000 for raising slogans 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Ukraine seeks India's help in probing deal to supply AN-32 spares to IAF 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- CAG examining Rs 58K crore Rafale fighter jet deal, says Govt 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Patna HC admits Tejashwi's petition challenging order to vacate bungalow 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...