SP plans rally to protest against PM’s foundation laying of Purvanchal E-way
The Samajwadi Party has planned a rally in Azamgarh on Thursday to protest Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision to lay the foundation stone of Purvanchal Expressway. They are demanding to know why the PM should go through with the process when the foundation was already laid by the SP Government during its tenure.
“The BJP Government is bereft of ideas and therefore is either inaugurating or laying foundation of projects which were done during our regime,” SP chief Akhilesh Yadav said in a statement in Lucknow on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to lay the foundation stone of Purvanchal Expressway in Azamgarh on May 14. It happens to be the Parliamentary constituency of SP patron Mulayam Singh Yadav.
The Samajwadi Party claimed that the foundation stone of the Expressway was laid on December 22, 2016 and also released pictures of the function which was attended by almost the entire Cabinet of then Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Akhilesh said that during the SP regime, the proposed Purvanchal Expressway was from Lucknow to Ballia but this government curtailed it to Ghazipur. “In our regime the Expressway was to be constructed in six packages but the BJP first reduced its length and then to accommodate its people, broke it up into eight packages. Despite that, tenders were cancelled twice as the BJP Government’s proposals lacked transparency,” the SP chief said.
Akhilesh even said that his Government had acquired almost 50 per cent land for the proposed Expressway. “As we got support from masses, we named the project as Samajwadi Purvanchal Expressway but the BJP regime dropped Rs Samajwadi’ from the name as it was allergic to the word,” he said.
The hard hitting statement of Akhilesh Yadav came a day after he termed the BJP government a Rs kainchi ki sarkar’ which was busy in ribbon-cutting of projects initiated by the previous SP regime. Akhilesh made the statement on Monday when the Prime Minister along with Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Korean Prime Minister inaugurated Samsung mobile manufacturing unit in Noida.
- Controversy erupts over iPhone gift to K’taka MPs 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Soil ramps made for safe passage of elephants along ‘killer track’ in Rajaji Tiger Reserve 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- MTNL underground cables cut, stolen from Okhla Exchange 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Trawlers capsize in Bay of Bengal, 19 fishermen missing 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- INBRIEF 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Munde: Sugar firm dupes farmers, banks of `5.5K 18 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- WCD Ministry to amend JJ Act 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Hike in power bill likely in UP as UPPCL installs FGDs in plants 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- To tide over milk shortage, Maha brings 5.28L litres daily from Guj 18 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Killer should have been caught alive: Victim’s father 18 Jul 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...