- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Telecom panel approves net neutrality
The Telecom Commission on Wednesday approved net neutrality rules which bar service providers from discriminating against Internet content and services by blocking, throttling or granting them higher speed access.
Some mission critical applications or services like remote surgery and autonomous cars will however be kept out of the purview of net neutrality framework.
"The Telecom Commission (TC) today approved net neutrality as recommended by Trai expect some critical services will be kept out of its purview," Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan told reporters here.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India had recommended restrictions on service providers from entering into agreements which lead to discriminatory treatment of content on the Internet.
TC also approved the new telecom policy — National Digital Communications Policy 2018 — for seeking approval of the Union Cabinet, Sundararajan said.
"Everybody in the meeting today said that digital infrastructure is even more important than physical infrastructure for India... CEO of Niti Ayog (Amitabh Kant) said that for...districts, we must ensure digital infrastructure is provided at the earliest. Therefore, India must have ease of doing business and enabling policy environment," she said.
An official, who was part of the meeting, said that the TC has approved installation of around 12.5 lakh WiFi hotspot in all gram panchayats with viability gap funding of around Rs 6,000 crore by December 2018.
- Controversy erupts over iPhone gift to K’taka MPs 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Soil ramps made for safe passage of elephants along ‘killer track’ in Rajaji Tiger Reserve 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- MTNL underground cables cut, stolen from Okhla Exchange 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Trawlers capsize in Bay of Bengal, 19 fishermen missing 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- INBRIEF 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Munde: Sugar firm dupes farmers, banks of `5.5K 18 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- WCD Ministry to amend JJ Act 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Hike in power bill likely in UP as UPPCL installs FGDs in plants 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- To tide over milk shortage, Maha brings 5.28L litres daily from Guj 18 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Killer should have been caught alive: Victim’s father 18 Jul 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...