Thousands hit by diarrhoea in Kolkata
The diarrhoea situation worsened in southern parts of Kolkata and some adjacent suburbs with more than 2,000 people falling victim to the water-borne disease, Kolkata Municipal Corporation sources said.
While Mayor Sovan Chatterjee denied any report of water contamination contradicting his senior officials’ assertion that ongoing underground sewer renovation works could have triggered the crisis, situation worsened and reports of infections came pouring from newer areas across a large part of southern Kolkata spread over about 10-15 wards threatening more 10 lakh people, sources said.
Hospitals were crammed with patients and “many victims had to be refused admission because of shortage of beds,” staff at Beleghata ID Hospital and Bagha Jatin State General Hospital said.
The disease had spread to Kasba, Dhakuria, Salimpur, Jadavpur, parts of posh Tolygunge in the past one day after initially hitting areas at Bagha Jatin, Santoshpur sources said. “We are prepared with ample number of ORS and medications and hope the situation will be controlled in a day’s time” the Mayor said.
- Rlys revised timetable: Many new niche trains on cards 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- SC to hear TN’s plea against NGT order giving Vedanta access to Tuticorin plant 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee fall due to economic mismanagement of Modi Govt, alleges Congress 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong dares PM to dissolve LS 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Tight security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day 15 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Mamata raises NRC again, calls RSS for terror outfit 15 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Madras High Court orders CBI enquiry 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Stalin era begins in DMK 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- BJP to launch enrolment campaign in Gujarat today 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong uses BJP’s ‘Beti Bachao’ slogan against Rajen Gohain 15 Aug 2018 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...