Two schoolgirls mowed down by Sena man’s SUV
In an incident that triggered intense protests, two schoolgirls were killed and another was injured, when they were run over by a speeding SUV belonging to a local Shiv Sena leader at Baramati in Pune district on Thursday morning.
Local Sena leader Pappu Mane, who is suspected to have been behind the wheels of the speeding vehicle at the time of mishap, absconded soon after the mishap which took place at 7.30 am. The aggrieved local residents set the car on fire after the mishap.
Identifying the girls killed in the mishap as Samiksha Vitkar who was 13 years old and Divya Pawar who was 12 years old, the Baramati police said that they were on their way to their school on Baramati-Morgaon road, when a Pajero driven allegedly by Mane sped over them.
“Both the deceased girls were residents of the military colony at Baramati. They —along with another girl — were on their way to Someshwar school when the incident took place. The third girl who was injured in the incident, was rushed to a nearby hospital,” a police officer said.
Soon after the incident took place, the local residents staged a spontaneous “rasta roko” in the arrest of the local Sena leader who was driving the vehicle at that time.
Though the SUV is registered in the name of a relative of the local Sena leader, Mane uses the vehicle regularly. “There were at least three persons inside the SUV involved in the mishap. We have summoned a couple of them for questioning to know about the whereabouts of Mane,” the police said.
- Terrorists hurl grenade on police post in Sopore 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Agnivesh attack: Police say no arrest yet 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Man booked for 'rape' for making daughter-in-law to undergo ‘halala' with him 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India, ASEAN cooperation will be key facilitator for growth of Indo-Pacific: MEA 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indian woman among 3 killed as two training aircraft collide midair in US 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Cong is ‘deceitful' party, those allying with it invite doom, says Chouhan 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- JNU student fined `10,000 for raising slogans 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Ukraine seeks India's help in probing deal to supply AN-32 spares to IAF 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- CAG examining Rs 58K crore Rafale fighter jet deal, says Govt 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Patna HC admits Tejashwi's petition challenging order to vacate bungalow 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...