Uneasiness in ADMK after Stalin's meeting with EPS
The Leader of the Opposition calling on Chief Minister could have been described as a routine meeting had it been held in other States. But it is not the same in Tamil Nadu where legislators belonging to the AIADMK and the DMK, eternal adversaries, do not even speak to each other. So, MK Stalin calling on Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswamy on Tuesday turned out to be a mega event. Stalin, accompanied by some of the leaders of the DMK called on Palaniswamy at the latter’s office in Fort Saint George (Tamil Nadu’s seat of power) to press his party’s demands for a total rollback in the bus tariff hike announced by the Government recently.
Stalin said after the meeting that there was no assurance from the Chief Minister that the Government would make any amendments to the bus fare hike and hence he would discuss with other Opposition party leaders about intensifying the agitation against the Government.
Sources in the AIADMK had said immediately after the incident that meeting or discussions between top leaders of the AIADMK and the DMK are not in the interests of the former. It may be noted that Jayalalithaa had not met or spoken to Karunanidhi even once in her political career. Stalin had called on Jayalalithaa in early 2004 and she lost the subsequent elections to the Lok Sabha and Assembly.
Though these arguments do not have any logic, the Drvaidian politicians of Tamil Nadu are superstitious. “We have reservations about so many subjects. For example, our leaders are not enthusiastic about any kind of alliance with VCK leader Thol Thrumavalavan because past associations with him were not in our interests except once,” said a DMK leader.
- Rlys revised timetable: Many new niche trains on cards 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- SC to hear TN’s plea against NGT order giving Vedanta access to Tuticorin plant 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee fall due to economic mismanagement of Modi Govt, alleges Congress 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong dares PM to dissolve LS 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Tight security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day 15 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Mamata raises NRC again, calls RSS for terror outfit 15 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Madras High Court orders CBI enquiry 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Stalin era begins in DMK 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- BJP to launch enrolment campaign in Gujarat today 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong uses BJP’s ‘Beti Bachao’ slogan against Rajen Gohain 15 Aug 2018 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...