UP Congress chief demands Maurya's resignation
Uttar Pradesh Congress chief Raj Babbar on Wednesday demanded the resignation of State PWD Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya, holding him morally responsible for the flyover collapse here, in which 15 people lost their lives and several were injured.
He also alleged that the State Ministers were putting pressure on the district officials and the officials of the UP State Bridge Corporation for completing the construction of the flyover before the 2019 general elections.
Without taking the name of Maurya, who is also the deputy chief minister, Babbar said the Minister concerned with the UP Bridge Corporation should resign on moral grounds and added that suspending officials, engineers and staff would not absolve him of his responsibility. He alleged that three Vinayak temples were being demolished in the city for development works, adding that the flyover collapse was a fallout of the "curse" of the deity.
The actor-turned-politician also alluded to a remark by Prime Minister Narendra Modi when a flyover collapsed in Kolkata two years ago. Modi had then said, "This is not an act of god, this act is of fraud."
Babbar said he would not repeat the prime minister's words and would only say that the Varanasi incident was an act of "negligence", which occurred due to hurrying up the construction under pressure from BJP ministers and senior officials. The Congress leader also demanded a Rs 50-lakh
compensation each for the family of the deceased instead of Rs 5 lakh and a Rs 10-20 lakh compensation for the injured, depending on their injuries, instead of Rs 2 lakh.
- When Vajpayee asked for pajamas at public meeting 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Atal made path-breaking contributions to Sino-India ties’ 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No change of guard ceremony today: Rashtrapati Bhavan 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s Chef de Mission pays tribute 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Ex-PM started out as an MP from Balrampur 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pak interim Law Min meets Sushma, condoles demise 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- SAARC leaders, including Pak, turn up at funeral 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Inshort 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Centre announces new freight corridor between Kharagpur, Vijayawada 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Rain brightens chance of filling Srisailam dam 18 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...