- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Victim’s family questions BJP for not sacking MLA
Family members of Unnao rape case victim, along with Opposition parties, questioned the BJP for not sacking prime accused MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar despite being charge-sheeted by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
“Sengar’s family is threatening us regularly. Meanwhile, the police have decided to look the other way in more than 20 cases lodged against the Sengars as they are close to the ruling dispensation in UP,” said the rape victim’s uncle Mahesh Singh.
Talking to the media persons in Unnao over filing of the chargesheet against the MLA by the CBI in the gang rape case, Singh said that the BJP always claimed to provide clean Government devoid of criminal elements, but not acting against the chargesheeted MLA unmasks its actual mindset.
Satisfied over the CBI probe and chargesheet, he said that the family was thankful to the probe agency but the situation could change any day as the BJP MLA was continuously threatening the family and interfering in day to day probe of the police.
The CBI chargesheeted BJP MLA from Bangarmau (Unnao) Kulddep Singh Sengar and his woman aide Shashi Singh in the gang rape case while the legislator’s brother and five cohorts were charge-sheeted for the murder of the victim’s father.
Meanwhile, the charge-sheet against Sengar in the rape case, left the ruling party in a quandary with the Opposition demanding the legislator’s immediate expulsion. On its part, the saffron party maintained that it was “too early” to take a call.
State BJP spokesman Chandramohan said, “The party brass is closely monitoring the development and is in touch with local leadershi. Necessary and appropriate steps as per policies of the BJP will be taken.”
“The chargesheet has been filed recently. It would be unfair to jump to an early conclusion. It is to early for taking a call,” he said reacting to the demand by SP and Congress on Sengar’s sacking.
Earlier, the SP and Congress upped the ante against the BJP. “Anybody who has been named in a chargesheet should be expelled from the party. But, BJP has a history of harbouring such people. As a ‘party with a difference’, they should set an example, before even raising a finger at others,” SP spokesperson Juhie Singh said.
UP Congress put the onus on the Government and the party to act against Sengar. “People in the State are not feeling secure outside or inside jail.
The Government should take a call on this as those who are in power are taking the law in their hands and committing crime. The onus lies the Government and the party to act and take action,” UP Congress spokesperson Onkar Singh said.
- NGOs to create database on poaching, illegal trade 19 Jul 2018 | Archana Jyoti
- TDP isolated on disruption, parties want RS to function 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- PVR Nest launches Eco Grants 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Centre likely to fix MSP for milk 19 Jul 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
- Rajya Sabha gets off to a smooth start 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Govt OK’s Rs 13,000 cr package for Maha 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- LS scraps no-detention policy in Class V, VIII 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- 3 sisters raped for months by 5; prime accused arrested 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 18-year-old girl killed by father for tryst with lover on phone 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Such move will only encourage ‘rape’ culture: Mehbooba 19 Jul 2018 | Mohit Kandhari
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...