Villagers burn forest after leopard kills U'khand boy
Around eight hectares of forest land was burnt to ashes by angry villagers in Uttarakhand's Bageshwar district after a leopard mauled to death a seven-year-old boy, the second such incident in three months, police said.
The attack took place on Monday evening when the boy had gone out of his home in Harinagri village to answer nature's call while his mother was in the kitchen, Chief Conservator of Forest BP Gupta told PTI.
The leopard dragged the boy inside the forest surrounding the house. The next morning, his half eaten body was recovered by villagers 250 metres away, Gupta said.
"Angry villagers numbering around 4000-5000 set on fire eight hectares of van panchayat land in the village yesterday," Gupta, who is also the nodal officer for forest fires said quoting Bageshwar DFO RK Singh.
The fire could not be extinguished as irate villagers did not allow outsides to enter the village, he said.
The villagers also blamed the same leopard for killing a four-year-old boy in the area in March this year.
"Since it was the second such incident in the area, the villagers may have burnt down the forest to clear the thickets and destory the big cat's hideout to save themselves," the official said.
According to Gupta, the leopard has been declared a man-eater and an order to kill it has been issued, Gupta said.
- Investigate Hapur lynching case: SC to IGP Meerut 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- We want our people to travel in India: Alphons 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Okhla MLA Amanatullah threatened me: Cong worker 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- InShort 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Jodhpur, Marwar cleanest among major rly stations 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Govt committed to find solution for affected homebuyers: Min 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- US envoy meets Rijiju, talks terror 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rahul not worthy to have debate with PM: Prasad 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Shah concealed his liabilities in RS poll affidavit: Cong to EC 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- BJP makes strong pitch for simultaneous LS, Assembly polls 14 Aug 2018 | Deepak K Upreti
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Aug 2018 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
Governor Prof Ganeshi Lal released Odia version of ‘Exam Warriors’, written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, here on Monday. Releasing the book, the Governor said a common child can build self a superman by strong commitment and will power...