Booting it out
The ubiquitous PT canvas shoe, usually with a muddy brown sole, said Indian Army just as much the khadi topi said Congressi or the khaki shorts said swayamsevak. But just as there’s hardly a Congress politician who sports the khadi cap anymore and the RSS has progressed from khaki shorts to brown trousers, generations of armymenissued their canvas shoes as part of their kit are set to move on.
The entire 11 lakh-strong Indian Army is set to be issued ‘proper’ sports/running shoes in the near future as part of standard kit instead of the canvas shoe with a sole that often made those who donned it complain that they could feel every little pebble on a track. Indeed, a bright spark even suggested that thecanvas PT shoes were issued to the men to keep them comfortable as many were used to walking barefoot in village India! Didn’t do our braves any harm, of course, but those days are far gone. Given that proper protective gear including lightweight helmets, weather-conducive combat dress and even food rations in the form a bar are now de rigueur, it’s time the Army’s boots on the ground, wherever needed, are of quality.
- New definition of hugplomacy 17 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Whose Story Needs To Be Told? 14 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Hindu-Pak 13 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Death as a Product 12 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Waste Water Wonder 11 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- She is back 10 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Prayer for Thai boys 06 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Mind factory 03 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- The end of the possession game 03 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Save Rainwater 30 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...