- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Saying no to plastic
Clogged as it is during the monsoons, the State of Maharashtra has decided to set itself the ambitious target to completely ban the use, sale and distribution of plastic. The new rules stipulate a fine of Rs 5,000 for the first violation going up to Rs 25,000 for subsequent violations. The move has ruffled a few feathers. The ban incurred the displeasure of the Shiv Sena which branded it as a “tool in the hands of the State Government to raise funds”. But the Sena, usually quite adept at reading the signals on the ground, may have got it wrong this time because despite the scepticism of many, citizens have expressed wholehearted support for the plastic ban.
This is a good start in changing mindsets and consumer habits. But such is the all-pervading nature of plastic in our lives, we need a revolution to make people aware of how it is choking our cities and countryside. Greater cooperation between the Government and citizens is the key to this end and the Devendra Fadnavis administration must be complimented on its outreach to citizens’ groups. But the new rules will remain only on paper – or worse, become a tool for extortion as the Sena claims – if implementation of the plastic ban is not rigorously enforced without fear or favour. Monitoring of industries which use plastics must be transparent and fair. And the punishment for violators severe.
- New definition of hugplomacy 17 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Whose Story Needs To Be Told? 14 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Hindu-Pak 13 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Death as a Product 12 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Waste Water Wonder 11 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- She is back 10 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Prayer for Thai boys 06 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Mind factory 03 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- The end of the possession game 03 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Save Rainwater 30 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...