Two Weddings And Two Hoaxes
It’s a pretty rare day when the online world is buzzing with talk of two A-lister impending marriages at the same time. But that’s what’s been happening over the weekend. First came news that Bollywood actress and Sonam Kapoor, 1990s Hindi film veteran Anil Kapoor’s daughter, was getting hitched to her longtime beau and Delhi-based businessman,Anand Ahuja. The media-generated twist was that it won’t be a Hindu wedding, which saw a huge traffic spikefor websites reporting this nugget. Till it was revealed that the marriage would be solemnized according to Sikh rites (Anand Karaj) which is a common custom prevalent among many Punjabi Hindus who have faith in Guru Granth Sahib, so the twist was no twist after all and actually a bit of a hoax.
But then came the bombshell. Social media went crazy when photographs of Congress Party president Rahul Gandhi and Rae Bareli Sadar MLA Aditi Singh with their families began circulating with the ‘news’ that the two were getting hitched. Aditi, daughter of five-time MLA Akhilesh Singh, however, was quick to scotch all rumors with the time-tested Bro line, or as we in India put it, the Raakhi Bhai maneuver. The wait for Rahul’s wedding continues.
- New definition of hugplomacy 17 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Whose Story Needs To Be Told? 14 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Hindu-Pak 13 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Death as a Product 12 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Waste Water Wonder 11 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- She is back 10 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Prayer for Thai boys 06 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Mind factory 03 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- The end of the possession game 03 Jul 2018 | Pioneer
- Save Rainwater 30 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...