Consuming green leafy vegetables may be a novel way to reduce stress and lower the risk of experiencing a stroke, as per a recent study. People who ate more green leafy vegetables had 64% lower risk of experiencing a stroke. Researchers studied 682 patients (average age 53.7 years) who experienced brain bleeds.
A stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is interrupted or severely reduced, depriving brain tissue of oxygen and nutrients. Within minutes, brain cells begin to die. Prompt treatment is crucial. Early action can minimise brain damage and potential complications. The acronym FAST can be used to recognise the warning signs of stroke: Face drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulty and Time to emergency. The disabilities caused due to a stroke can be temporary or permanent, depending on how long the brain lacks blood flow and which part is affected. All cases of strokes must reach a stroke centre within 24 hours.
Stroke is preventable. About 90 of strokes are associated with 10 risks factors that are modifiable. Some tips to prevent stroke.
- Control high blood pressure
- Do moderate exercise 5 times a week
- Eat fruits & vegetables
- Reduce your cholesterol
- Maintain a healthy BMI or waist to hip ratio
- Stop smoking and avoid second hand exposure
- Reduce alcohol intake
- Identify and treat atrial fibrillation
- Reduce your risk from diabetes
Get educated about stroke
— Courtesy Indian Medical Association
- The Sound treatment 21 Aug 2018 | Dr Rajat Gupta
- Baby skin needs TLC 21 Aug 2018 | Megha Dua
- Docyard | Go for iodine if thyroid is an issue 21 Aug 2018 | Dr SK Wangnoo
- SummerCooler 21 Aug 2018 | Pioneer
- DadiKaKehna 21 Aug 2018 | Roshani Devi
- TIPTOP 21 Aug 2018 | Pioneer
- SlimLine 21 Aug 2018 | Pioneer
- Studycentre 21 Aug 2018 | Pioneer
- Keep fit with mDiabetes 14 Aug 2018 | Pioneer Health
- Gaming disorder 14 Aug 2018 | Anna Chandy
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The beauty of city of lakes painted through vibrant colours and the eye catching shades over canvas spellbound the art appreciators. A group painting exhibition is being put up at Swaraj Bhavan Art Gallery that began here from Monday...