Star athletes shine at World Championships
World champions Dafine Schippers and Pawel Fajdek defended their titles on Day 8 of the competition at the London world championships here.
Dutch woman Schippers clocked a season best 22.05 seconds to retain the women's 200m title and Poland's Fajdek clinched his third consecutive world hammer throw title with an attempt of 79.81 meters on Friday night, reports Xinhua news agency.
Marie-Josee Ta Lou of Cote d'Ivoire took the 200m silver following her second finish in the 100m with a time of 22.08 seconds. Shaunae Miller-Uibo was third with 22.15.
For American Brittney Reese, it was the chance to regain the women's long jump title and she did not waste it, winning in 7.02m after she bagged the gold medal three times in a row between 2009 and 2013.
Darya Klishina, one of the Russian athletes competing as an authorised neutral athlete, took silver in the women's long jump with her season's best attempt of 7 meters while another American Tianna Bartoletta finished third with 6.97.
In the women's 3,000m steeplechase, Olympic bronze medallist Emma Coburn of the United States cut nearly four seconds off the championships record en route to winning in 9:02.58, beating the previous Championships record of 9:06.57 set by Russia's Yekaterina Volkova back in 2007.
The 26-year-old Coburn waited patiently behind world record holder Ruth Jebet of Bahrain and three Kenyan athletes, including defending champion Hyvin Kiyeng Jepkemoi, for most of the race, before charging for the lead together with her teammate Courtney Frerichs in the final lap.
Frerichs took the silver medal in 9:03.77, which is a personal best for the 24-year-old. And the bronze medal went to Jepkemoi with a clocking of 9:04.03.
Jepkemoi's compatriot Celliphine Chepteek Chespol clocked a world under-20 record of 9:15.04 to finish sixth.
- Unlike earlier times, we now have 8 to 9 quality fast bowlers, says Ishant 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- SAI selects 734 athletes for Khelo India scholarship 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rishabh has temperament and skills to bat differently: Dravid 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India has strong bench strength in pace bowling: Zaheer 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indian batsmen will hold key to win Test series in England: Ganguly 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Warner sets World Cup goal after first home hit-out 21 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Saha to undergo shoulder surgery in Manchester: BCCI 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Will take confidence of ODI triumph into Tests against 'motivated' Kohli's team : Bairstow 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- David Warner returns to cricket in Australia in Darwin 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- Will start playing in another two to three weeks: Jadhav 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | AFP | tehran
Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Saturday that negotiations with the United States are “useless” because it does not abide by agreements. “As I have previously said, we cannot trust in the words of the United States and even in their signature, so negotiations with the United States are useless,” Khamenei told a gathering of Iranian diplomats in Tehran...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2018 | Pioneer News Service | Lucknow
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday targeted the entire opposition, questioning the motive behind the no-confidence motion moved by the opposition in the Lok Sabha. Addressing a Kisan Kalyan Rally in Shahjahanpur on Saturday afternoon, Modi said the people of the country trusted him and his government but some political parties did not...