CR7 sets another record; Liverpool through
Philippe Coutinho's hat-trick inspired Liverpool to score seven in their win over Spartak Moscow as they joined Sevilla, Shakhtar Donetsk and Porto in qualifying for the Champions League last 16.
That quartet completed the line-up on the final night of group-stage action that was also notable for another Cristiano Ronaldo goals record in the competition.
The Portuguese superstar scored his ninth in the competition this season in reigning champions Real Madrid's 3 -2 win at home to Borussia Dortmund.
In doing so, he became the first player to score in all six Champions League group-stage matches in a season while also equalling his Barcelona rival Lionel Messi's record of 60 group-stage goals in total.
Liverpool have also been prolific this season, and their demolition of Spartak was the second time they had won 7-0 en route to finishing top of Group E -- they beat Maribor 7-0 in October.
Jurgen Klopp's side were 3-0 up inside 19 minutes on a night that saw their 'Fab Four' run riot -- Coutinho got his first hat-trick for the club, Sadio Mane scored twice and there was one each for Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah.
Ukrainian giants Shakhtar are through to the last 16 in Group F at the expense of Napoli after beating Pep Guardiola's Manchester City -- who had already won the section -- 2-1 in Kharkiv.
Napoli had gone in front early on away to already- eliminated Feyenoord through Piotr Zielinski, but Nicolai Jorgensen equalised. Jeremiah St Juste then made it 2-1 at the death for the Dutch champions after they had Tonny Vilhena sent off.
- Alonso to retire from Formula 1 at season end 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Gary Stead named Kiwis’ coach 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Curran signs for Northamptonshire 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- De Villiers relieved after quitting international cricket 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Cleared Stokes fuels fiery debate about future 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Too early to talk about 5-0 win over India: Bairstow 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Unfair to say India are dependent on Kohli’ 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘UCL glory not pivotal to being judged a success’ 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Mueller in danger of being omitted from Germany squad 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- ‘Indian coaches live in past, need foreign help’ 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...