- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Gopi critical of scheduling
A historic Gold medal in team event was the highlight of India's outstanding show at Commonwealth Games says badminton chief coach Gopichand but was critical of scheduling, which he feels prevented them from winning more medals.
Indian shuttlers produced their best ever show at the Commonwealth Games as besides the historic team Gold, India also won a Gold and Silver in women's singles, a Silver each in men's singles and men's doubles and a Bronze in women's doubles.
"Overall if you look at the performance, I am pretty happy with how things have gone here. The team Gold was the highlight. To beat Malaysia in a mixed team event was the highlight, I think it is fantastic," Gopichand said after Indian wrapped up the campaign.
"I think for me, this tournament belongs to Ashwini. Satwik and Ashwini could have ended up with a medal. The win in the team championship was very critical to put the team 1-0 up and give the confidence to Srikanth to beat Lee Chong Wei, I think that was a big win. Lot of credit to them for pulling off against Malaysia."
Indian shuttlers, especially the doubles pairs, had to play more than one match in a single day due to the scheduling and Gopichand disapproved it.
"The only thing I would say if we would have been lucky, if the scheduling been little favourable we probably could have won couple of medals more. (HS) Prannoy lost close two matches - one to Lee Chong Wei and one to Rajiv (Ouseph) and he could have pulled off one of them. The mixed doubles was a close tie for Satwik and Ashwini, which we could have got another medal."
- The Open is my best chance: Woods 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Tim Cahill bids goodbye 18 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Pep among coaches Argentine wants 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- More than 250,000 welcome Croats 18 Jul 2018 | AP
- HEROES RETURN HOME 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Sharma ready to live dream at The Open 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- ‘Hima should be given financial support’ 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Tough draw for Sindhu at World C’ship 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India move to fifth spot in FIH rankings 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Joining Juventus means moving forward: Ronaldo 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...