India stun Belgium to enter semifinal
Hosts India produced a spirited performance to stun Olympic silver medallist Belgium in the shoot-out and progress to the semifinals of the Hockey World League (HWL) final after both the teams were locked at 3-3 at the end of regulation time, here on Wednesday.
Warming the bench for most part of the match, goalkeeper Akash Chikte dished out a superb performance to hand India their first win of the tournament, a win that will erase all their wrongdoing of the pool stages.
It was a great exhibition of attacking hockey from both the sides as the regulation time yielded as many as six goals, three each from either side.
While Gurjant Singh (31st minute), Harmanpreet Singh (35th) and Rupinderpal Singh (46th) were the goal scorers for India, Belgium's goals came from the sticks of Loick Luypaert (39th, 46th) and Amaury Keusters (53rd).
But Chikte, who was brought into action in the 47th minute, produced four brilliant saves in the shoot-out that went to sudden death to seal the famous win for India.
- Alonso to retire from Formula 1 at season end 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Gary Stead named Kiwis’ coach 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Curran signs for Northamptonshire 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- De Villiers relieved after quitting international cricket 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Cleared Stokes fuels fiery debate about future 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Too early to talk about 5-0 win over India: Bairstow 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Unfair to say India are dependent on Kohli’ 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘UCL glory not pivotal to being judged a success’ 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Mueller in danger of being omitted from Germany squad 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- ‘Indian coaches live in past, need foreign help’ 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...