- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Kom to miss Asian Games due to injury
Five-time boxing champion Mary Kom on Wednesday revealed the reason behind her withdrawal from this year's Asian games, citing a shoulder injury.
"I had to miss this tournament because of a major shoulder injury," Kom said.
"This is not going to be a disappointment for India as they have young athletes coming up and they all should get a chance to secure a medal in this tournament," she added.
The ace Indian boxer also apologized to her fans for not playing for India in Asian Games this year, promising that she would soon be up and around as she said, "I'll be back soon."
Despite not being active this season, she told that she has been undergoing 'smart' training for the upcoming tournaments and is ready to bag a Gold medal for her country.
Mary Kom told that the injury is now under control and that she is happy being back in training for the preparation of the upcoming World Championship, the hosting rights of which have been given to India.
"Since we are hosting the championship this time, I have to be very strong and perform well. I'm trying my best," India's ace woman boxer, aptly nicknamed as Magnificent Mary, said.
On being questioned about what she thinks of the expectations that lie upon her, Kom admitted that while a lot of people expect her to win, others might be a bit more skeptic on account of her maternal responsibilities.
"People expect from me but some don't because they think my responsibilities involving my family, children may weigh down my performance. If I continue doing my training regularly, I will definitely perform well and win this world championship.
"Till now I had no trouble in my training. I'm confident and focused. But anything can happen in the ring, the game can change within seconds. Just pray and support for me. I need a comeback but its going to be a tough one. "
Kom also opined on the current situation of Indian boxing, reminding of India's performance in April's Commonwealth Games.
"I think there have been improvement in international competitions, in the Commonwealth Games women did pretty well, others also tried to give their best output but it's unfortunate they did not win medals. For Asian games, starting this August, athletes are training hard and are trying to work on their weaknesses and hopefully they will get the results. The training system has got way better than it earlier was. Young talent requires good training with adroit coach support and that is being fulfilled. "
- The Open is my best chance: Woods 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Tim Cahill bids goodbye 18 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Pep among coaches Argentine wants 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- More than 250,000 welcome Croats 18 Jul 2018 | AP
- HEROES RETURN HOME 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Sharma ready to live dream at The Open 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- ‘Hima should be given financial support’ 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Tough draw for Sindhu at World C’ship 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India move to fifth spot in FIH rankings 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Joining Juventus means moving forward: Ronaldo 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...