Neymar's debut in French league could be delayed
It's been nearly a week since Neymar landed in Paris, and the world's most expensive player still can't play for his new club in the French league.
Neymar's world-record 222 million euros ($262 million) transfer from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain was completed last week, but the Brazil international has yet to be granted permission to play. PSG wanted Neymar to start the season at the Parc des Princes last week against Amiens but his debut was delayed because his international transfer certificate (ITC) had not been received by the French league on time.
The former Santos forward was then expected to play on Sunday night at Guingamp at the 18,000-capacity Stade du Roudourou, but PSG fans might have to wait a bit longer to see the star in action.
The French league said in an email to The Associated Press on Thursday that it had not received the document needed from the Spanish federation. It added the deadline for receiving the document was midnight local time. The league however said Neymar could still be qualified for Sunday's game if PSG and the French federation decide against referring the issue to FIFA after the deadline expires.
- Shubhankar makes cut at The Open 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Zaman double ton leads demolition 21 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Maharaj 8-fer rattles SL 21 Jul 2018 | AP
- I’ll start playing in three weeks: Jadhav 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Swann predicts Indian comeback 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Squad for COTIF U-20 named 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- U-16 colts lose to Thailand 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Pep wants City stars rested and ready 21 Jul 2018 | AFP
- I’m staying in Paris, says Neymar 21 Jul 2018 | AFP
- India to play China in historic match 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...