Stokes to join England in New Zealand
Ben Stokes will join the England squad in New Zealand after the star all-rounder pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to a charge of affray over a nightclub incident that forced him out of the Ashes tour.
The 26-year-old all-rounder appeared at Bristol Magistrates' Court in the southwest of England along with two other men and will next appear at Bristol Crown Court on March 12.
The England and Wales Cricket Board issued a statement shortly after Stokes's first court appearance confirming his travel plans but he is not expected to make an immediate return after nearly five months out of the side.
"Having entered his plea at Bristol Magistrates' Court today, Ben Stokes will now travel to New Zealand to join the England squad," said an ECB spokesman. "He departs tomorrow, Wednesday 14 February, and will arrive on Friday 16 February, ready to train with England team-mates in Hamilton."
The statement said any decision to include him in upcoming matches would be made by the England management team. He is not currently being considered for the ongoing International Twenty20 tri-series against New Zealand and Australia.
England start a five-match one-day international series against New Zealand on February 25, followed by two Tests.
- Boycott slams India’s batting 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Stokes acquitted of affray; included in Test squad 15 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Kohli's plea to fans: Never give up on us 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Bumrah eyes return as Kohli struggles 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Extra Cover 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Stokes participation ruled out for third Test 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘We need to find positives from loss’ 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rafa claims 80th ATP World Tour title 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- Nadal plays tsitsipas in final 13 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Dananjaya, Matthews shine as Sri Lanka thrash Proteas 13 Aug 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...