- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Torres starts Atletico farewell with goal
Fernando Torres started bidding farewell to Atletico Madrid on Sunday by scoring in a 3-0 win over Levante that strengthened his team's hold on second place in the Spanish league.
Angel Correa and Antoine Griezmann put Atletico ahead before substitute Torres scored in his first match since announcing that he would leave his boyhood club at the end of the season.
The former Spain standout will now have six more league matches for Atletico, along with a minimum of two legs of the Europa League semifinal against Arsenal.
"For me every game I have left is a party, you can see how the fans are with us," Torres said. "I hope that goal isn't my last."
Atletico Madrid remained 11 points behind undefeated Barcelona with six rounds remaining, meaning its best chances of finishing the season with silverware rest in the Europa League. Atletico will visit Arsenal in the first leg of their semifinal on April 26.
Correa opened the scoring for the hosts in the 33rd minute. While, Griezmann wasted a one-on-one situation with Oier Olazabal shortly before halftime but made up for it in the 47th when he used one touch of his right boot to blast in a waist-high pass from Sime Vrsaljko for his team-high 19th league goal of the season.
Griezmann was replaced shortly after by Torres, who volleyed in a pass by Correa in the 77th to the delight of fans at Wanda Metropolitano Stadium.
The 34-year-old Torres announced on Monday that his second stint with Atletico was nearing its end. The striker starred for Atletico from 2001-07 before going to Liverpool and Chelsea, where he won Champions League and Europa League titles.
ISCO LIFTS MADRID
Francisco "Isco" Alarcon scored one goal and set up another to lead Real Madrid to a 2-1 win at last-place Malaga.
The victory allowed Madrid to move ahead of Valencia and into third place, 15 points behind leader Barcelona.
Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane dropped forwards Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, midfielder Luka Modric and defender Raphael Varane from the squad to give them extra rest as Madrid looks toward their UCL semifinal against Bayern Munich, with the first leg in Germany on April 25.
Isco curled a free kick over the wall and out of reach of goalkeeper Roberto Jimenez in the 29th. Casemiro finished off an exquisite passing combination between Karim Benzema and Isco to put the result beyond doubt in the 63rd.
Diego Rolan scored for Malaga on the final kick of the match when Jesus Vallejo failed to clear a cross.
- The Open is my best chance: Woods 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Tim Cahill bids goodbye 18 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Pep among coaches Argentine wants 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- More than 250,000 welcome Croats 18 Jul 2018 | AP
- HEROES RETURN HOME 18 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Sharma ready to live dream at The Open 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- ‘Hima should be given financial support’ 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Tough draw for Sindhu at World C’ship 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India move to fifth spot in FIH rankings 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Joining Juventus means moving forward: Ronaldo 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...