- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
United lose, hand City title
Manchester City were confirmed as Premier League champions without kicking a ball on Sunday as rock bottom West Brom stunned Manchester United with a 1-0 win at Old Trafford.
United simply had to avoid defeat to keep the title race mathematically alive, but a late header from Jay Rodriguez gave West Brom a hugely surprising three points and finally gave their fans something to cheer this season.
More importantly, though, it means Pep Guardiola's City team cannot now be caught at the top of the table, thus handing the Catalan coach his first Premier League crown in just his second year in English football.
Realistically it was always a matter of when and not if City would become English champions for a fifth time following a dominant season from the blue half of Manchester.
But, just a week after spoiling City's title party the way United abjectly gifted the title to their neighbours will sting.
United failed to spark the imagination in any tangible way even though they were playing a side that had hadn't won in the league since January.
West Brom sacked manager Alan Pardew at the start of April after just four months following one win in his 18 matches in charge, but even a famous win at Old Trafford may be too little, too late for the Baggies as they still lie nine points off safety with just four games remaining.
However, the plucky visitors sensationally seized their chance when Chris Brunt delivered a corner from the right with 17 minutes remaining and headed back inside to Rodriguez, who could not miss from three yards out. West Brom displayed some new-found defensive fortitude and held on for a famous victory.
- Singles 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Argentina sack Sampaoli 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Serena climbs 153 spots 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Novak now on to his favourite hunting ground: US 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Chandimal faces 4 ODIs, 2 Tests ban 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Shivalkar praises Kuldeep for accuracy 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India eye series win 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Lessons from the World Cup 17 Jul 2018 | Piyush Bisht
- ‘Win 'as beautiful' as 1998 victory’ 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Croatian players get good Press at home 17 Jul 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...