Unpredictable India face Argentina in s/f
Unpredictability has been haunting Indian men's hockey team for quite some time now but that very factor might just act in their favour when the hosts take on Olympic champions and World No 1 Argentina in the semi-finals of the Hockey World League Final, here on Friday. For any team in world hockey, predicting India's performance is next to impossible.
'Inconsistent' is the perfect word to sum up India.
The same topsy-turvy curve is continuing at the ongoing HWL Final also. After a not-so-impressive pool campaign, India not only stunned world No 3 Belgium but all and sundry at the stadium with their spirited show in the quarterfinals.
And this unpredictably about India is something that is troubling the Argentines ahead of Friday’s last-four duel.
"India are a tough team to beat. You can't predict how they will come out in a game and that was visible against Belgium yesterday. They beat the most impressive team of the tournament," Argentina's drag-flick specialist Gonzalo Peillat said after the Los Leones beat England 3-2 in their quarterfinal match at the Kalinga Stadium on Thursday.
Argentina, who finished third in Pool A with just one point, scored through field strikes from Lucas Villa (21st minute) and skipper Mattias Paredes (29th), and a penalty stroke conversion by Juan Gillardi (34th) to eke out their first win of the tournament. For England, David Condon (29th) and Adam Dixon (60th) found the net but that was not enough to make it to the semis.
Argentina might be the reigning Olympic champions and world's numero uno team at present, but the Indians have better head-to-head record against them.
India and Argentina have so far played 46 games against each other, out of which India have won 26, lost 16 and four ended in a tie.
India were the only team that defeated Argentina on their way to gold medal triumph in 2016 Olympics.
- Alonso to retire from Formula 1 at season end 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Gary Stead named Kiwis’ coach 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Curran signs for Northamptonshire 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- De Villiers relieved after quitting international cricket 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Cleared Stokes fuels fiery debate about future 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Too early to talk about 5-0 win over India: Bairstow 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Unfair to say India are dependent on Kohli’ 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘UCL glory not pivotal to being judged a success’ 16 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Mueller in danger of being omitted from Germany squad 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- ‘Indian coaches live in past, need foreign help’ 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...