US, Mexico and Canada to host 2026 WC
The United States, Mexico and Canada won the right to host the 2026 World Cup after easily beating Morocco in a vote by FIFA member nations on on Thursday.
The North American bid received 134 of the 203 votes, while Morocco polled 65 in the ballot at a FIFA Congress held in Moscow on the eve of the 2018 World Cup.
Football's showpiece event will return to the North American continent for the first time since 1994 when the United States hosted the tournament.
Delegates had been faced with a clear choice - the joint North American bid boasts modern, established stadiums and well-developed transport links underpinned by Mexican football fervour.
Morocco, on the other hand, promised a "European" World Cup in Africa, playing on the north African nation's proximity to Europe.
But compared to North America, Morocco's bid existed largely on paper - many stadiums and roads would have had to have been built and critics questioned how it would have coped with the 2026 tournament, which will be expanded to 48 teams.
FIFA inspectors warned "the amount of new infrastructure required for the Morocco 2026 bid to become reality cannot be overstated".
- Boycott slams India’s batting 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Stokes acquitted of affray; included in Test squad 15 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Kohli's plea to fans: Never give up on us 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Bumrah eyes return as Kohli struggles 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Extra Cover 14 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Stokes participation ruled out for third Test 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘We need to find positives from loss’ 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rafa claims 80th ATP World Tour title 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- Nadal plays tsitsipas in final 13 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Dananjaya, Matthews shine as Sri Lanka thrash Proteas 13 Aug 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...