Williams sisters kick-off with doubles win
Serena and Venus Williams have won their first Grand Slam doubles match in nearly two years.
The sisters moved into the second round of the French Open by coming back for a 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 victory over the 14th-seeded Japanese pairing of Shuko Aoyama and Miyu Kato in front of a Court 3 crowd that raucously supported the Americans.
The Williams-Williams duo last competed at a major tournament together at Wimbledon in 2016. They won their 14th Grand Slam title in women's doubles at the All England Club.
This return to doubles came a day after Serena Williams participated in Grand Slam singles for the first time in 16 months, winning her first-round match at Roland Garros. Venus Williams lost in the first round of singles on Sunday.
- Deepak, Lakshay bring in Silver 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Bale leads Real to flying start 21 Aug 2018 | AFP
- Imran names Mani as PCB chief 21 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Singles 21 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Djoker wins Cincy title 21 Aug 2018 | AFP
- No comparisons with Kapil: Pandya 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- England asked to chase 521 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Shuttlers suffer shock defeat 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- S Korea stun India in kabaddi 21 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Japan go from prostitutes to podium 21 Aug 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The beauty of city of lakes painted through vibrant colours and the eye catching shades over canvas spellbound the art appreciators. A group painting exhibition is being put up at Swaraj Bhavan Art Gallery that began here from Monday...