Spiritual leader Bhaiyyuji kills self over family issues
Bhaiyyuji Maharaj, the self-styled spiritual leader, committed suicide by shooting himself in the head at his Indore residence on Tuesday afternoon.
Police have reportedly found a suicide note that indicated that the 50-year-old Bhaiyyuji (Uday Sinh Deshmukh) was depressed over some domestic issues.
Bhaiyyuji, who counted some of the country’s top politicians and celebrities among his followers, was declared dead at the Bombay hospital in Indore.
Additional Director General (ADG), Indore Range, Ajay Sharma said that Bhaiyyuji shot himself on his right temple in a room bolted from inside. Sharma said a notepad was found in his room on which he had purportedly written, “Somebody should be there to handle duties of family, I am leaving, too much stressed out, fed up”.
The people close to the spiritual guru claimed that it was his own handwriting, but the police will verify the same through experts, he said.
The exact cause behind the extreme step will be known after a detailed probe, he said. Bhaiyyuji’s first wife, Madhavi, passed away in November 2015. In April last year, he had married Dr Ayushi Sharma, a native of Shivpuri. He has a daughter from his first wife.
As the news about Bhaiyyuji’s suicide spread, a large number of his supporters gathered in front of the Bombay Hospital where the ‘godman’ was rushed after he shot himself.
The self-styled guru was known for his links with influential politicians and businessmen. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar were among his many followers.
During the India Against Corruption campaign of 2011 for a Lokpal or anti-corruption watchdog, the Congress-led Government sent Bhaiyyuji to persuade Anna Hazare to end his fast. Anna Hazare finally accepted a glass of juice from him. Bhaiyyuji was also invited by Narendra Modi when, as Chief Minister of Gujarat, he sat on a Sadbhavna (harmony) fast.
- Odia version of PM’s ‘Exam Warriors’ released 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Bid to gag media must be protested’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Librarians key to modern education system’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 2 girls die, three others critical of JSpur family 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Lions Club BBSR holds installation festival 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Cong protests over CMC failures 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Woman succumbs to labour pain in absence of doctor 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Jajpur teacher held for raping minor 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Giridih police seize 37 cattle 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- A’garh newlywed dies due to burn injury 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar