- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Crop loss: N’pada farmers file case against IMD
Farmers of Khariar block in Nuapada district represented by Sanjay Tiwari have lodged an FIR at the Khariar police station against Dr KJ Ramesh, Director General of Meteorology, India Meteorological Department (IMD), Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India, on Friday.
The farmers have stated in the FIR that they started early agricultural operations during the current kharif season (2017-18) believing in the IMD prediction that the monsoon would arrive early and the rainfall would be good. Unfortunately, crops in most of the lands have been damaged due to lack of rain.
“One of the worst droughts of the decade is looming large in the area. We have faced huge loss because of the false prediction of the IMD. We should be compensated for the loss by the IMD,” said the farmers to the Press after filing the FIR.
There is a huge shortfall in actual rainfall in June and July in Khariar, Boden, Sinapali and Komna blocks of Nuapada district. Crops have started drying due to water stress. This would be the third consecutive year of drought for the people of the district.
“The calculations of the IMD were unscientific. They have speculated like laymen and pushed us to face huge loss. Most of the farmers in the district have not been able to insure their crops during the current kharif season as there was problem of internet for about a week in the last part of July. The worst day for us is looming ahead,” they added.
The police have, however, not yet given a copy of the FIR to the complainants. It was learnt that local police officials would decide about the matter after consultations with their higher authorities.
- Pranaam Pawas: A poetic event organised to welcome monsoon 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Rudali: A play on women’s struggles staged 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC allows teenager rape victim to abort 26-week foetus 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Citizens plan to approach court if drive diluted 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BJP MLAs & Cong leaders oppose anti-encroachment drive in Premnagar Bazaa 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 155 cm height fixed for women candidates for police posts 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Woman straying away to Bengal returns home 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Hry Govt to begin special transport service for girl students of Mewat, Morni hills 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab CM approves solar energy project in agri fields 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Inbrief 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi