- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Doc vacancies in hosps hits S’garh healthcare
With a large number of doctor posts remaining vacant in various Government hospitals in the tribal dominated Sundargarh district, the healthcare system is in ‘comma’.
The District Headquarters Hospital, Sundargarh (DHHs) and Rourkela Government Hospital (RGH), Rourkela, two major hospitals of Sundargarh district, have been attending almost double than its sanctioned bed strengths, with vacancy of a large number of doctors.
Significantly, hundreds of patients come to the DHH Sundergarh and the RGH from neighbouring Chhatisgarh and Jharkhand for their treatment, besides the locals. According to sources, in the DHH Sundargarh, against bed strength of 197 patients, it caters to as many as 350 to 380 patients daily in its indoor. Similarly, against bed strength of 128 at the RGH, as many as 300 patients usually turn up for their treatment. Same is the situation in cases of indoor patients as well, sources said.
“For the sanctioned bed strength of 197 patients of DHH Sundargarh, we have sanctioned post of 51 doctors, out of which we at present have 31 doctors and therefore, 20 doctor posts remain vacant,” said Chief District Medical Officer, Sundargarh SB Naik. “Out of 20 vacant doctor posts, at least 14 posts are of specialist category,” said Naik .
Similarly, about 70 doctor posts in different community health centers of the Sundargarh district are lying vacant out of 213 sanctioned posts all over the district. "Due to dearth of doctors in hospitals, the healthcare system has been badly affected in Sundargarh district," Naik added.
Similarly at the RGH, against a sanctioned strength of 69 doctors in the RGH, there have been only 34 doctors, including five contractual doctors.
With shortage of as many as 35 doctors, the hospital has been providing treatments to about 300 patients daily, against its sanctioned bed strength of 128 patients. Considering the fact that the hospital has been providing more than double of its sanctioned capacity, with reduced strength, the efficiency of doctors in that case is obviously going to be a question mark, sources said.
“Specialist doctors face tough times here since they have to attend on an average over 100 patients during their duty hours,” said Chief Medical Officer, RGH, Rourkela, RC Behera.
The shortage of doctors and para medical staff in Sundargarh district was informed during a visit of Health Minister Pratap Jena to the district about a month back. After accessing the situation, Jena, while briefing the mediapersons, had assured that about 26 doctors would immediately be deputed in Sundargarh district in one week.
According to sources, not a single doctor has been posted at the Rourkela Government Hospital yet. As many as 17 MBBS doctors were posted in the Public Health Centres in Sundargarh district, out of which three of them have left for pursuing their post graduate course, sources said.
- Pranaam Pawas: A poetic event organised to welcome monsoon 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Rudali: A play on women’s struggles staged 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC allows teenager rape victim to abort 26-week foetus 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Citizens plan to approach court if drive diluted 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BJP MLAs & Cong leaders oppose anti-encroachment drive in Premnagar Bazaa 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 155 cm height fixed for women candidates for police posts 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Woman straying away to Bengal returns home 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Hry Govt to begin special transport service for girl students of Mewat, Morni hills 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab CM approves solar energy project in agri fields 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Inbrief 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi