Millets to be included in midday meals
The State Government has decided to include minor millets like Suan and Kangu in the midday meal and Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) programmes.
As part of expansion of the Odisha Millets Mission, which was announced by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday, it has been decided to introduce millets in the midday meal and ICDS schemes in a phased manner in nine districts covering around 26 lakh children.
The millet meals would be served as Khichdi and Upma twice a week. The required millets would be produced and supplied by Women SHGs and Farmer Producer Organisations.
While the Government had earlier launched the Millets Mission in tribal areas in 30 blocks covering seven districts for promotion of millets, it would now be extended to another 25 blocks covering a total of 11 districts.
A total of Rs 126.65 crore would be spent to revive millet farming over a period of five years. The farmers would be incentivised for growing millet through direct benefit transfer.
In a bid to raise awareness regarding millets, sale outlets for millet-based products would be established by NGOs in 26 locations of the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation area before being further extended to other urban areas. Various millet products such as Halwa, Vada, Dosa, Pakoda, biscuits and cakes would be promoted through this urban awareness programme.
- Two-month-old dies in 108-Amublance 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- No tuition fee for children under Mukhya Mantri Jan-Kalyan 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Stone laid for Narmada-Parvati link project 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Heavy rain sweeps away 3 children 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Centre okays Rs 1131.87 cr projects for HP: Jai Ram Thakur 18 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Investiture ceremony was held in the Delhi Public School 18 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- ‘Mor Gaon Mor Desh’ hits theatre 18 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Govt to step in amid drought fear 18 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Chas gets ODF status for third year 18 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Measles-Rubella vaccination at Bokaro Thermal 18 Jul 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi