- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
OUWJ condemns murder of journalists
The Odisha Union of Working Journalist (OUWJ) at a meeting here on Tuesday severely condemned the murder of veteran journalists like Gouri Lankesh, JJ Singh, Ravish Singh and Tarun Acharya (Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Punjab and Odisha, respectively) and many others in recent months.
OUWJ president Sugyan Choudhury described the attacks on working journalists as an attack on the freedom of Press. He wondered how in a great democracy like India under a vibrant judicial system the assailants of journalists are running away scot free. OUWJ Bhubaneswar district president Hrushikesh Mohanty opined that the name for the Press as the fourth pillar of democracy is nothing but a gross travesty of the truth.
It was resolved that a draft prepared by the OUWJ to the Prime Minister demanding a Central legislation for protection of journalists would be handed over through the Governor of Odisha shortly.
Prominent among other scribes present were Deepti Kar, Niranjan Pattnaik, Lalit Kumar Dash, Prafulla Singh, Purnananda Thakur, Deepak Prusty, Tapan Sinha, Tapan Sahoo and Brajabandhu Nayak.
- Pranaam Pawas: A poetic event organised to welcome monsoon 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Rudali: A play on women’s struggles staged 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC allows teenager rape victim to abort 26-week foetus 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Citizens plan to approach court if drive diluted 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BJP MLAs & Cong leaders oppose anti-encroachment drive in Premnagar Bazaa 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 155 cm height fixed for women candidates for police posts 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Woman straying away to Bengal returns home 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Hry Govt to begin special transport service for girl students of Mewat, Morni hills 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab CM approves solar energy project in agri fields 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Inbrief 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi