‘Settle farmers’ claims by August 15’
Expressing displeasure over delay in settlement of claims under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY), the State Government has asked insurance companies to settle all claims for Kharif 2017 by August 15, 2018.
Sources said the insurance companies have so far released claims of Rs 1244.61crore against the total estimate of Rs 1,619.24 crore and have shown the balance claims of Rs 374.63 crore as disputed.
While over 5.30 lakh farmers belonging to 1,857 gram panchayats in 30 districts had to get insurance claims, the situation is grave in Bargarh district where claim was made for Rs734.62 crore and the National Insurance Company (NIC) is no mood to pay this much of amount.
Over one lakh farmers are affected by multiple natural calamities and moving from post to pillar to receive their claims.
Sources said the NIC has deposited Rs 520.43 crore in the Escrow Account, but farmers have not received the same.
These were revealed at a meeting held here recently in the presence of Ministers Susant Singh and Shenhangini Churia, who are from Bargarh. Co-operation Secretary Ranjana Chopra was present.
Farmers present at the meeting alleged that insurance companies are dillydallying payment knowingly.
Agriculture Production Commissioner Gagan Kumar Dhal said insurance companies should not delay giving indemnity to the farmers crop cutting report was submitted on time.
Farmers’ Organization Coordination Committee member Jayakrushna Sahu pointed out that farmers’ accounts have not been credited as their settlement details have not been furnished to the banks by the insurance companies.
Dhal directed the companies to expedite the process and release money by August 15.
He also asked the companies to furnish panchayat-wise details of farmers to the banks to enable them to credit the amount to their respective accounts.
Notably, farmers faced multiple natural disasters like drought, pest attack and unusual rains and lost crops during the Kharif-2017.
Sources said insurance companies are not accepting crop cutting report of the State Government and they are presenting data of IRRI coverage of paddy area, which is not acceptable to farmers and the State Government.
- Ranchi girl wins Int’l beauty contest 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Missing boy’s body found 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Chhattisgarh to provide `10 cr aid to Kerala 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Roy inspects repairing of pump house at Mango, water supply resumes 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Tribal Affairs Dept launches App for profile registration of beneficiaries 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Harmu River rejuvenation work to be completed in 2 months 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CS directs officials to keep watch over cattle smuggling 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- XLRI’s ‘Jamshedpur Run’ today 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Maoist surrender before police in Giridih 19 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- NMDC officials study Dhamtari solid waste mgt facility 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur