Stop tree-felling in Posco area, says Green Tribunal
In a latest development, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has ordered to stop cutting trees in the Posco project area. The tribunal has issued the order to the Central and the State Governments, besides the Posco management.
The Industrial Development Corporation Limited (IDCO) has been acquiring lands for the proposed Posco steel plant in the villages of Govindapur, Nuagaon and Nolia Sahi for last several months cutting lakhs of old trees. The State Government had ordered for the cutting of trees from the coastal green belt, rural forest and private land in the proposed Posco project villages. The Posco Pratirodha Sangram Samiti (PPSS) and environmentalists had opposed the illegal denudation, but the State Government, Jagatsinghpur district administration and IDCO officials had not cared a hoot about the protest.
On behalf of Loka Janasakti Party, environmentalist Prafulla Samantara had appealed the NGT to stop the illegal act of the authorities. After going through the appeal, the tribunal issued the order.
Meanwhile, hearing the news, the anti Posco outfit has gone upbeat. By now more than 3 lakh old trees have been cut which were protecting villages from the onslaught of calamities, including tidal waves and cyclones etc.
- Ranchi girl wins Int’l beauty contest 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Missing boy’s body found 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Chhattisgarh to provide `10 cr aid to Kerala 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Roy inspects repairing of pump house at Mango, water supply resumes 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Tribal Affairs Dept launches App for profile registration of beneficiaries 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Harmu River rejuvenation work to be completed in 2 months 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CS directs officials to keep watch over cattle smuggling 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- XLRI’s ‘Jamshedpur Run’ today 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Maoist surrender before police in Giridih 19 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- NMDC officials study Dhamtari solid waste mgt facility 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur