Capt expresses surprise at Bittu’s suggestion on inducting Mann into Cong
Reacting sharply to Congress’ Ludhiana MP Ravneet Singh Bittu’s suggestion on bringing Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Bhagwant Mann into the Punjab Congress, Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh on Tuesday urged all party leaders to refrain from making such public statements.
“It is the prerogative of the party high command to take any decision on the induction of leaders from other parties into the Congress fold,” said the Chief Minister, adding that no party MP, MLA or other leaders should come out with public statements in this regard.
He said that in case any leader has any opinion on any such matter, they should share their suggestions in party forums. The party platform was the right place for discussing opinions related to party issues, he said.
Expressing surprise at Bittu’s reported media statement that AAP’s Sangrur MP Mann should be inducted into the Congress ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, Capt Amarinder said that the Ludhiana MP should have come with his views either to the party general secretary or the PPCC president or to him (the Chief Minister).
“As a democratic organization, the Congress could have discussed Bittu’s opinion internally, with the final decision resting on the high command,” said the Chief Minister, adding that, as per the party rules, special permission of the Congress president was required for the induction of members of Parliament into the party.
Bittu was a senior Congress leader and well aware of the systems and processes that need to be followed in such cases, said Capt Amarinder, adding that using a public forum to air views on party related matters was against the constitutional ethos of the party.
“The media is not the proper forum to raise or discuss internal party matters,” he said exhorting all Congress leaders to follow a disciplined approach on such issues.
Capt Amarinder added that such statements could fuel speculation which could be detrimental to the Congress party’s interest in the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections.
- Odia version of PM’s ‘Exam Warriors’ released 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Bid to gag media must be protested’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Librarians key to modern education system’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 2 girls die, three others critical of JSpur family 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Lions Club BBSR holds installation festival 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Cong protests over CMC failures 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Woman succumbs to labour pain in absence of doctor 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Jajpur teacher held for raping minor 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Giridih police seize 37 cattle 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- A’garh newlywed dies due to burn injury 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar