Haryana braces up for ‘star’ rating status of garbage-free cities
The Manohar Lal Khattar Government in Haryana has decided to achieve the star rating status of garbage-free cities.
Urban Local Bodies Minister Kavita Jain on Tuesday said a city can be declared as garbage-free if it complies with the key components for rating methodology. These included door-to-door collection, segregation at source, sweeping of public, commercial and residential areas, waste storage bins, litter bins and material recovery facility, she said.
The other key components included bulk waste generators compliance, scientific waste processing, scientific land filling and C and D waste management, user fee, penalties, spot fines for littering and enforcement of ban on plastic, citizen grievance redressal and feedback system, eradication of crude dumping of garbage and dump remediation, cleaning of storm drains and surface of water bodies, waste reduction and visible beautification in the city, the Minister said.
She added the cities fulfilling the necessary conditions for garbage-free star rating would have to carry out self-assessment and self-verification as per the methodology of the protocol.
Upon satisfactory verification, the Municipal Commissioner, Chief Officer or Chairperson of the city may self-declare garbage-free star rating of the city and notify it by a public notification, and communicate the same to Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs through the State Government, the Minister added.
Jain said to ensure robustness of garbage-free star rating, the Union Ministry will take up independent verification and validation through a third party agency. The State Government as its discretion may take up similar third party verification for the remaining 1-star, 2-star and 4-star ratings. It may be noted that there is no 6-star rating, she said.
The city has to be certified as open defecation free in order to apply for 3-star and above rating. The third party certification would be valid for one year. The process would have to be re-assessed and re-certified every 12 months, she added.
- Students felicitated for outstanding leadership on I-Day 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- SHEIN celebrates first anniversary 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Former FM’s spouse remembers Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | VISHVENDU JAIPURIAR | in Ranchi
- Adhunik Power pays homage to Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- In brief 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Man convicted for raping minor girl 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- City girl wins IFTDA polls in Mumbai 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- DC: Lohardaga fairs well in special plan implementation 18 Aug 2018 | Vinod Prasad | in Ranchi
- Preparing for ash immersion, Haridwar still nostalgic 18 Aug 2018 | RADHIKA NAGRATH | in Dehradun
- NH-74 scam: IAS lobby flexes muscles, seeks to meet CM 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun