Politics on Guru Nanak’s 550th Birth Anniversary
A day after all Opposition parties, including the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), gave a miss to the first meeting of the committee set up to discuss the arrangements for celebrating Guru Nanak Dev’s 550th birth anniversary, the Punjab Congress on Tuesday lambasted SAD for its “shameless persistence in politicising the auspicious occasion”.
“Their leader Sukhbir Badal paved the way by boycotting the first meeting of the committee...Despite being sent a special invite by the Government, which is spearheading the event arrangements, Sukhbir not only failed to turn up for the meeting on Monday but showed no signs of regret thereafter,” said Congress leaders Sukhjinder Singh, Pargat Singh,
Harpratap Singh Ajnala, Tarsem Singh DC, Barinder Singh Pahra and Sukh Sarkaria, in a joint statement.
The meeting, chaired by Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh, had been convened to discuss and work out the detailed programme for one of the most auspicious events taking place in our lifetime, they pointed out, adding that by keeping away from these important deliberations, Sukhbir had demeaned himself in the eyes of the people of Punjab.
They said the Akalis, who claim to be custodians of the Sikh religion, had once again proved that they had no interest in promoting and protecting the religious ideologies of the community.
The fact that Sukhbir did not excuse himself from attending the meeting, nor apologised later for giving it a miss, clearly showed that it was a deliberate act by the Akali leader, who was joined in this irresponsible behaviour by the SGPC president and other opposition leaders, the Congress leaders said.
What had further exposed the ill-intention of the Akalis in the matter was the brazenness with which the party spokesperson had subsequently claimed that Sukhbir did not go for the meeting as SAD received no invitation from the Congress, said the PPCC leaders.
“Was it a Congress meeting that it should have sent out invitations?” they asked, adding that the special invite had gone to the SAD president from the right quarters.
Contrary to what was being projected by SAD, it was not an event involving political parties, said the Congress leaders, adding that the Akalis had once again exposed their petty mindset and their tendency to politicise religion with their ill-conceived reaction.
- Tiwari promises to take up NH 33 plight issue with Centre 22 Aug 2018 | Parvinder Bhatia | in Ranchi
- SEBI workshop at VVPS 22 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Inbrief 22 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- IIM-R to establish centre in the name of Atal Bihari Vajpayee 22 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Palamu facing drought, rain deficit 55.33 %, says Kishore 22 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CM fiat to link rescued trafficking victim girls with jobs 22 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Deoghar-Basukinath road to become four-lane 22 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- 2 teenage girls commit suicide by jumping from Tenught Dam 22 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- DRM felicitates Key Man Mathur for averting accident 22 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Create separate mngmt wing at big hospitals: CM 22 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi