Social security cover for domestic workers in Punjab
In a major policy decision, the Punjab Government on Wednesday decided to register all the domestic workers in the State with the State Social Security Board.
As per the decision, they will be extended benefits under various social security and welfare schemes being run by the State Government, said the state Labour Minister Balbir Singh Sidhu after taking the decision in the maiden meeting of the State Social Security Board for unorganized workers.
Sidhu said that domestic workers are working in an unorganized sector. “Till date, there is no provision for the registration of such domestic workers, which left them out of the ambit of welfare schemes of State Government,” he said.
Besides, they have been subjected to exploitation and maltreatment at the hands of their employers, he added.
“It is the commitment of the Congress party to the working class to provide them adequate benefits of the welfare schemes of the state. The Congress Government, after assuming charge, has already constituted the State Social Security Board for the unorganized workers,” he said.
The Minister said that after the registration of the domestic workers with the State Social Security Board, they will be provided a unique identity card which will be linked to their Aadhar numbers.
Divulging details of the registration process, the Principal Secretary (Labour) Sanjay Kumar said that any domestic worker who has completed 14 years of age would be eligible for the registration.
“The worker has to furnish self declaration confirming that he is a domestic worker. The complete details of registration process will be uploaded on the Labour Department’s website and also be given wide publicity,” he added.
- Odia version of PM’s ‘Exam Warriors’ released 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Bid to gag media must be protested’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Librarians key to modern education system’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 2 girls die, three others critical of JSpur family 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Lions Club BBSR holds installation festival 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Cong protests over CMC failures 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Woman succumbs to labour pain in absence of doctor 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Jajpur teacher held for raping minor 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Giridih police seize 37 cattle 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- A’garh newlywed dies due to burn injury 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar