ELISA test nullifies the alleged first Dengue death
The Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) test on the sample of 22-year-old woman who reportedly died due to Dengue on August 6 has proved negative. It means that the reason of her death was not Dengue. It is worth mentioning here that the Himalayan Hospital Jollygrant on the basis of rapid test report had claimed that the Haridwar- based woman had been afflicted with Dengue.
The director general (DG) of State health services Dr T C Pant confirmed that ELISA test of the deceased woman has come negative. He said that according to the norms set up by the Government of India, Dengue can be confirmed only when the ELISA test of the suspected patient comes positive. He said that all the Government and private health centres have been categorically informed that they should confirm Dengue only when the ELISA test comes positive. Dr Pant added that declaring Dengue on the basis of rapid test just triggers panic among people, something which is undesirable.
Dengue is a viral infection spread by the mosquito Aedes Aezypti popularly known as Tiger Mosquito due to the characteristic strips over its body. It strikes during day time and the experts suggest that people should wear full sleeved clothes to prevent mosquito bite.
The symptoms of the disease are persistent high fever, rashes, headache and pain in the joints. In the acute cases, the platelets number decrease drastically which may prove fatal for the patient. In 2017, a total of 198 cases of the disease had been reported from Dehradun district while in 2016, 1428 patients of the Dengue had been reported. This year, the department has not reported any case of the disease so far.
- Students felicitated for outstanding leadership on I-Day 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- SHEIN celebrates first anniversary 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Former FM’s spouse remembers Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | VISHVENDU JAIPURIAR | in Ranchi
- Adhunik Power pays homage to Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- In brief 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Man convicted for raping minor girl 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- City girl wins IFTDA polls in Mumbai 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- DC: Lohardaga fairs well in special plan implementation 18 Aug 2018 | Vinod Prasad | in Ranchi
- Preparing for ash immersion, Haridwar still nostalgic 18 Aug 2018 | RADHIKA NAGRATH | in Dehradun
- NH-74 scam: IAS lobby flexes muscles, seeks to meet CM 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun