Govt will promote sports at any cost: CM
Chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat laid emphasis on focusing some sports and promoting them to help the youngsters from the State perform well when it comes to participating in the national and international sports events. He said this after he inaugurated the All India Senior Ranking Badminton Championship-2018 at Parade Ground in the city on Tuesday. In all, 1024 players are participating in the badminton championship which would conclude on February 18. India’s ace badminton players like Chetan Anand, D Diju, T Rupesh Kumar and Akshay Devalkar are also participating.
CM said that it is a matter of pride that some cricketers hailing from Uttarakhand have been selected to represent the nation as members of the national cricket team and they are performing exceptionally well, bringing laurels for the state they are from. “We are proud of them,” CM said.
He further said that the State Government would take all possible steps to promote sports in the State. “We would develop one international coaching centre for different sports to boost the spirit of the youngsters endowed with sporting talent,” he said.
CM walked to the badminton court and played a doubles match.
Rawat and Sanjay Gupta duo won a men’s doubles match, defeating Uttaranchal State Badminton Association president and IPS officer Ashok Kumar and Rajesh Nijhaun. Rawat and Gupta won the match 21-17. Another men’s double match was held between Chetan Anand and T Diju with Akshay Devalkar and T Rupesh Kumar. Chetan Anand and D Diju duo won the match 21-18.
In his address, Rawat said that Uttarakhand can be developed as a thriving sports hub of the country. “There are many good stadiums spread in Dehradun, Haridwar and Udham Singh Nagar districts. Ransi stadium is located at the altitude of 6500 feet. Things being congenial, high- altitude sports would be started in Ransi stadium soon,” CM said, adding that various sports competitions can be hosted in the state all the year round.
Among others present during the inauguration of the championship were the MLAs- Manoj Rawat and Deshraj Karnwal, former Uttarakhand sports minister Narayan Singh Rana and IG Sanjay Gunjyal.
- Students felicitated for outstanding leadership on I-Day 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- SHEIN celebrates first anniversary 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Former FM’s spouse remembers Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | VISHVENDU JAIPURIAR | in Ranchi
- Adhunik Power pays homage to Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- In brief 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Man convicted for raping minor girl 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- City girl wins IFTDA polls in Mumbai 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- DC: Lohardaga fairs well in special plan implementation 18 Aug 2018 | Vinod Prasad | in Ranchi
- Preparing for ash immersion, Haridwar still nostalgic 18 Aug 2018 | RADHIKA NAGRATH | in Dehradun
- NH-74 scam: IAS lobby flexes muscles, seeks to meet CM 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun