HC orders stop on mining within 10 kms of national parks
In yet another major decision, the high court of Uttarakhand has ordered a stay on mining in areas within 10 kilometres of national parks in the State. The decision was taken on a public interest litigation which had stated that mining in a range of Rajaji national park had disrupted wildlife movement and increased the risk of human-wildlife conflict in the region.
According to the case details, Haridwar residents Ayub had filed a public interest litigation in the high court stating that the government had leased out mining lots in the Motichur range of Rajaji national park.
The petitioner had further stated that the wild animals had been affected by such mining activity and due to this their movements towards human habitations had increased. Citing this, the petitioner had sought a prohibition on mining activities near the national park. After hearing the argument, the high court division bench of justice Rajiv Sharma and justice Lok Pal Singh ordered a stop on mining activity within 10 kilometres of national parks in Uttarakhand. In case the government wants to allow mining in the said area, the clearance of the wildlife board will have to be taken first.
It is pertinent to mention here that there are six national parks in the state. These include the Corbett national park , Nanda Devi national park, Valley of Flowers national park, Rajaji national park, Gangotri national park and Govind national park. Mining activities on riverbeds around such forest areas is a major source of revenue and also a major hub of allegedly illegely mining activities.
- PM Modi targeted the entire opposition over no-confidence motion 22 Jul 2018 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- GRP Personnel arrested two persons with Rs 2 crores 22 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Modi failed to prove allegation of corruption in Rafale deal 'Wrong' : Deepankar Bhattacharya 22 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Lucknow
- UP police is acting like bouncers of Yogi: Raj Babbar 22 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Lucknow
- ACOGOA called nationwide indefinite strike in UP 22 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Lucknow
- UP govt to adopt block chain technology to maintain digital record of lands 22 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Lucknow
- UP govt reintroduced pension for Yash Bharati and Padma awardees 22 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Lucknow
- CM reviews preparation of arrival of Prez 22 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Digvijay: I have taken oath to follow Constitution 22 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Avantika Srivastava to represent State in Mrs India Pageant 22 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur